A selection of websites that may be of interest to SWRS members. Please feel free to email the webmaster with other suggestions to include. All links open in a new tab or window.
– Heathrow Rail Link [Network Rail]
– also known as the Western Rail Approach to Heathrow (or 'WRAtH')
– proposed three mile rail link from Langley to Heathrow Terminal 5, mostly in tunnel
– expected to provide a 4tph service, bringing Slough within 7 minutes of the airport
– Protecting your Model Cars - Trains - and Planes
– resources for modellers
– particularly aimed at those starting their model-making journey
– mainly relates to static exhibits, but some guidance for railway modellers too
– Berkshire Industrial Archaeology Group (BIAG)
– for anyone interested in the study of industrial archaeology, in and around Berkshire
– monthly meetings, plus field trips, site recording, restoration and preservation projects
Wrailway Web Watch
Links to websites featured in the latest edition of the Triangle magazine...
Triangle 104 – July 2015
– Rail Map online
– interactive maps of past and present railways
– mainline companies' lines are shown by their pre-1922 ownership
– industrial lines and miniature railways are also shown
– select 'Places' and enter 'Slough' in the search box to find links for the main railway station and the Slough Trading Estate railway.
– Open Train Times
– live train description information
– Services at Slough: live information of trains through Slough Station
– From home page can search for other places by CRS (Computer Reservation System) code or TIPLOC (Timing Point Location). (Codes are listed at www.railwaycodes.org.uk.)
– Live Track Diagrams ('Maps') show you the location of trains on the railway, signal by signal, in real-time. Double-click on a white train reporting code for its route and timings. It's the same data as the signaller and train operators see. Only a few lines are covered, but more are being added.
– Schedules ('Trains') search schedules by characteristics such as train identity (headcode)
Wrailway Web Watch Archive...new page to follow...watch this space!
More Recent Additions (more additions, may not be 'recent'!)
– Egham & Staines Model Railway Society
– for enthusiasts of all scales and gauges, including garden railways and live steam
– meets at own clubhouse in Egham, every Tuesday evening.
– Reading Transport Group
– local enthusiasts group
– mainly railways, but also buses and other land, sea and air transport
– long-time friends of SWRS and arch-rivals for the annual 'Rocket Trophy' quiz!
– Amersham and District Motorbus Society – local bus enthusiast group
– organises the annual Slough Running Day (vintage bus services from Slough Bus Station), and others at Watford, Hemel Hempsted and Amersham
– Model Railway Exhibition Diary
– (provided by CMRA) – upcoming model railway exhibitions
– Chiltern Model Railway Association is the umbrella group for many UK model railway clubs
– National Traction Engine Trust – Events List – diary of steam rallies
– Model Junction – model railway shop on Slough Trading Estate
– Model Junction, 916 Yeovil Road, Slough Trading Estate, Berks, SL1 4JG (Opening Times)
– specialises in North American model railways
– can also supply current Hornby and Bachmann UK outline models
– scenic items, tools, paint, glues, and materials for scratch building
– can obtain non-stock items for collection in person to save postage charges (email for details)
– Leighton Buzzard Railway
– unique narrow gauge heritage railway
– formerly an industrial line for carrying quarried sand
– Pendon Museum – the world-famous model railway depicting the Vale of the White Horse
Travel Information & Tickets
– National Rail Enquiries – train times, tickets, and travel information
Railfuture – campaigning for better rail services for passengers and freight
– an independent 'pro-rail' group representing rail users
– Thames Valley Branch (Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire)
– London and South East Branch (Greater London, Hertfordshire, Surrey, Sussex, Kent, etc)
UK steam.info – information about UK Railway Preservation
– main line steam tours and loco movements;
– extensive list of links to heritage railways, museums, locomotives, clubs, etc.
Windsor Museum of Railway Signalling – Online museum run by an SWRS member.
– features an extensive collection of historic signalling equipment.
Maidenhead Heritage Centre – the museum for Maidenhead and the surrounding villages
– includes the permanent "Grandma Flew Spitfires!" exhibition about the Air Transport Auxiliary.
– RCTS – Windsor and Maidenhead – the local branch of "Britain's leading railway society"
Heritage railways and preservation groups
Middleton Railway – Heritage Railway in Leeds
– Slough Estates No. 3 is now based here. No. 3 was built by Hudswell Clarke of Leeds.
Swindon & Cricklade Railway – Heritage Railway in Wiltshire
– The restoration of No. 3 to working order was completed here.
– Didcot Railway Centre – Home of the Great Western Society
– Great Western Railway Preservation Group – Southall
– Ian Pethers' Glenrock Model Railway
– based on the line from Windsor to Datchet
– private O-gauge garden railway at Gunnislake Station in Cornwall, by a Slough 'ex-pat';
– architectural highlights include Riverside station, the Theatre Royal, and Windsor Castle!
– Windsor Link Railway – the ambitious proposal to connect the two Windsor branch lines
Links to external sites are provided for the benefit of members, and the SWRS has no control over their content. The presence of a link does not indicate any endorsement of the organisation by the Society. Please report broken links to the webmaster.